I’m not usually one to eat much fish, but I saw a recipe for Atlantic Salmon kebabs recently and was inspired to try creating my own version using fillets instead, with broccolini and red onion. I’ve not cooked with either Atlantic Salmon or broccolini before, but I am very pleased with the results. It was a genuinely delicious dinner!
- 1 x 295g packet John West Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon Skinless fillets with Zesty Lemon & Herb Crust (295g packet contains 2 portions)
OR use two fresh Atlantic Salmon fillets of your choice and make your own crumb topping (The packaged version contained the following ingredients, so I imagine you could do something very similiar: crumbs, salt, lemon peel, herbs, lemon juice.)
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped into 3cm lengths (Use the heads & stalks)
- 1 red onion, chopped into approx. 1.5cm chunks
- 1 ½ Tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- About 2 Tablespoons water
- Heat approx 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy-base frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the two salmon fillets to the frying pan. Press half the crumb mixture firmly on top of each fillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes (without turning), then carefully turn each fillet over so the crusted side is now facing downwards.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. (The salmon should now be cooked through and a lovely pale pink colour.)
- Chop the red onion and broccolini, as instructed.
- Heat remaining olive oil in another frying pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the broccolini, and cook for about another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the water to the pan, stir, and cover with a lid. Leave to steam (with heat still on) for another few minutes, or until the salmon is cooked.
Serve the salmon crusted-side-up on a plate with the broccolini and red onion on the side.
VARIATIONS / DIETARY NEEDS
To adapt to gluten-free, make your own crumb topping and use gluten-free bread crumbs, or something similar.
To make sure it’s dairy-free, make your own crumb topping with fresh breadcrumbs (the packaged mix has traces of dairy in the crumbs). Ditto for lactose-free.